Kelley Blankenship
University of Worcester, England
**** You must read this post in a British accent ****

Hello from Worcester! The journey to get to Worcester was an adventure all on its own that started with a flight out of Knoxville, Tennessee.  After saying my heartbreaking goodbyes to my Mom and sister, I waited patiently for my flight to take off which had been delayed from 6:45pm to 7:10 to 8:15.  The hilarious part was that I was sitting right next to the desk where the Delta ladies had to answer the same questions over and over again... most of them had obvious answers. The flight had been delayed due to a "ground-stop" in Atlanta, GA because of bad weather. At 8:15pm, the wheels were up, and I sat back to enjoy my short flight to Atlanta.

Once I arrived in Atlanta at about 9:00pm, I took my time to get to Concourse E. Upon arriving, I found the closest currency exchange desk and had a lovely chat with the clerk.  By this time, it was getting time for me to board the plane. Wheels up for this flight was at 10:35pm.  I made my way onto the flight, and spotted my seat which was by a nice British gentleman named Roger. Roger was an extremely interesting and kind plane buddy who happily gave me an aerial tour of London, just as we were flying over it... including where he worked.

After I landed, customs went smoothly and my personal taxi service, Neil, came to pick me up! For those of you who don't know Neil, he studied at Maryville College in spring of 2011, so he's one of the few friends I have already here. The adventure really began when we got into Neil's mum's car. While we were loading everything up, the plastic part on the key came apart. We just popped it back together and then got into the car, but as soon as he tried to start the car, it wouldn't! After phone calls to Daddy and Mummy Larner and the AA (the British equivalent to the American AAA), we concluded that the small chip inside of the key had fallen out. So, the search went on for about 30 mins. in the carkpark at London-Heathrow airport with a small party consisting of me, Neil, and the guy from the AA. The assistance from a broom and several flashlights was also needed.  In the end, Neil found the chip, the AA guy put it back into the key, and we were on our way.

Leave a Reply.